Appeal a Decision

If you are dissatisfied with a decision made by Uniting Housing or the property managers, you can lodge an appeal.

The Residential Tenancies Act sets out the rights and duties of landlords, tenants, rooming house owners and residents and caravan park owners and residents. Applications about residential tenancy disputes can be brought to VCAT.

When you contact VCAT, remember that different disputes have different application forms. The forms have their own guides to assist you.

If you decide to apply to VCAT, when filling out documentation, ensure you have all the necessary information such as:

  • Are all the parties named correctly?
  • If the party is a company or business, you will need to include their Australian Company Number, address and for a business the names of its owners. See the relevant VCAT booklet booklet for more information.
  • Is it clear what you are claiming and what orders you want VCAT to make?
  • Is the form completed, signed and dated?
  • Do you have copies of all your relevant documents?
  • Have you paid the fee or applied for a fee waiver? The fees change from time to time so you will need to check the website or contact VCAT for up to date details.
  • Is there anything else you need? For example, VCAT can provide interpreters at no cost to you and assistance for people with disabilities.

Information taken from Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)